Learn about the most important holidays and events of 29 February in history
According to the Orthodox calendar, 29 February is the feast Day of St. John Cassian the Roman. This date is used in people with a bad reputation, some beliefs I believe 29 February worst day in four year leap cycle.
29 February – the feast Day of St. John Cassian
The website “Today,” writes how the Orthodox holiday of the Ukrainians on 29 February 2020. In addition, we tell about the most interesting and important events that happened in history on this day, as well as about the main signs on February 29.
Carnival: traditions, rituals and main dishes holiday
- The international day of rare diseases. At the initiative of the European organization for rare diseases EURORDIS is the rarest day of the year – February 29 – officially received the status of the International day of rare diseases (Rare Disease Day). In non-leap years, the feast is celebrated on February 28.
29 February: what a feast
Day 29 Feb popularly known as Kasyanov day. Its name comes from the name of St. John Cassian the Roman. According to legend, St. Kassian was a bright angel, but betrayed God, telling the devil about the intention of the Lord cast out from heaven, the entire satanic force.
Watch the video about the traditions and rituals of the carnival:
Carnival 2020: the main signs of the holiday do’s and don’ts
After the betrayal Kassian repented and God had compassion on him and gave him a relatively light sentence. He put to him the angel who beat Kasian forehead with a hammer three consecutive years. According to another legend, Kassian stood guard at the gates of hell and once a year had the right to leave them and come to the earth.
Signs and prohibitions of the feast of February 29,
- In Kasyanov’s day not to marry, to get married, otherwise the married life will be unhappy.
- Also say that you can’t give money to the debt in order not to bring trouble to your home.
- It is forbidden to conclude contracts and deals – they will be unsuccessful.
Birthday on February 29
According to ancient beliefs, a person who was born on this day, would be unhappy and unsuccessful. It is because in the old days women tried all ways to delay the moment of birth until 1 March.
German Professor Heinrich Hemme even invented the calendar of the birthday celebration for those born on this special day. In his opinion, the day of the celebration depends on the hour of birth. Those born in the first hours after midnight, you can celebrate the birthday on February 28. For those born close to midnight on March 1, it is better to celebrate the birthday on March 1. Those who are born in the first half of the day (from 06:00 to 12:00), the first two years are celebrating their birthday on 28 February, and the third year on March 1. For those born in the second half of the day (from 12:00 to 18:00), the schedule of the celebration are the following: first year – 28 February, and the next two on March 1.
Who was born on February 29th
- 1468 – Paul III, Pope.
- 1528 – Albrecht V of Bavaria (Generous), Duke of, patron, collector, patron of artists and musicians, the founder of the Munich library.
- 1756 – Christian Frederik Hansen, Danish architect, Director of the Danish Academy of fine arts. The author of the Christiansborg Palace and the Copenhagen Cathedral
- 1792 – Gioacchino Rossini, the famous Italian composer, author of operas “the Barber of Seville”.
- 1796 – Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet, a Belgian scientist, the sociologist-positivist, one of the founders of the science of statistics.
- 1840 – John Philip Holland, designer of the first submarine for the U.S. Navy, as well as series of submarines for almost all navies of the world.
- 1860 – Herman Hollerith, American engineer and inventor. One of the founders of IBM, the largest transnational corporations in the production of computers and peripherals, Creator of the first electric adding machine – Tabulator of Hollerith.
- 1896 William Augustus Wellman, one of the classics of American cinema, the film “Wings” – the first film, which won an Oscar.
- 1904 – Glenn Miller, composer, conductor, trumpeter, a legend of American jazz and swing. Parents recorded as born on 1 March.
- 1904 – Mr Wolfe Plus 585 Sr, the owner of the longest in the history of mankind official name (Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenberdorft – full name consists of 26 words starting with different letters of the alphabet).
We will remind, earlier “Today” told how to spend the carnival 2020.
All the details in a special topic Calendar winter holidays 2019/2020
Subscribe to our telegram
Only the most important and interesting