While it's not a process he's likely to like, New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge says he's ready for the arbitration session scheduled for this Friday.
The star player is playing the last year of his contract in 2022. The Bronx Bombardiers offered him a seven-year contract extension, worth $17 million a year, before the start of the season, but he refused.
According to the Major League Baseball website, the 30-year-old is looking for a deal that would earn him $21 million per year.
“For me, it's quite simple: I love this team and this organization, but it's a 'business' that I sometimes don't like,” said said Judge on Tuesday.
“I don't think a lot of people like it. I don't think the team likes it. It's something you have to get through, deal with it and move on.”
So far this season, Judge has had tremendous success at bat. He notably hit 25 home runs, a major league high. The star player, however, assures that his performances are not related to the desire to obtain a new contract.
“I'm not really motivated by this kind of thing, he said. I'm more motivated by the type of team we have. There is a lot of talent here and we have a great opportunity ahead of us. I try to focus on that and it's pretty easy to block out the rest.”