Afghanistan: suicide bomber shot dead in front of passport office in Kabul

Afghanistan: suicide bomber shot dead in front of passport office in Kabul

MISE & Agrave; DAY

Kabul | A suicide bomber trying to enter the compound of the Kabul passport office was shot dead on Thursday as hundreds of Taliban gathered there to try to receive travel documents, Afghan police said. & nbsp ;

“It was a suicide attack, he was identified before he blew himself up and was shot near a checkpoint at the entrance to the passport service,” Mobin Khan told AFP, spokesman for the Kabul police.

In a statement on Twitter, the Taliban Interior Ministry said that “no one was killed or injured in the attack”, which took place around 12 p.m. (7:30 a.m. GMT).

The passport service reopened on Sunday in Kabul and elsewhere in the country, prompting a rush of Afghans eager to receive the sesame allowing them to go abroad. Thursday was reserved for the Taliban or employees of the new government and their families.

In the morning, around 200 Islamic fighters lined up in front of the building, some as early as 5 a.m., according to an AFP journalist. . It was not known why they wanted a passport, as the Taliban in charge of security did not allow interviews.

The organization was chaotic, with many civilians still trying to apply. Several were bluntly pushed back, their documents thrown away.

Women, wives or family members of combatants, had gathered in a separate line.

At the end of the In the morning, the high traffic had led to the closure of the service, according to Qari Shafiullah Tassal, spokesperson for the Kabul passport office. According to him, many men falsely claimed to be members of the Taliban.

Taliban fighters were also seen queuing outside the passport office in Kandahar (south), home of the Taliban hardline.

The passport service was closed shortly after the Taliban returned to power in mid-August, which marked the fall of the previous US-backed regime. In October, the Taliban authorities briefly reopened it, but the influx of requests was such that the biometric equipment quickly broke down.

Share Button