Alexei Fedosov has told how for five years he was one step away from joining the screen actors Guild USA
According to the theory of six degrees of separation any two people on Earth divided into no more than five levels of mutual friends. Then after reading this article, everyone can assume that partially familiar with Quentin Tarantino, brad pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, as with all of them side by side Alex Fedosov spent weeks on the set. As a television Director from Ukraine went to Hollywood, what’s the secret of success “dream factory” and that prevent the Ukrainian film industry – exclusive Today.Lifestyle said Alexey Fedosov.
Alex Fedosov in the United States
– Alexey, at what point and why did you decide to move? Why did you choose US?
– I never dreamed about moving, especially about America. The trip was very spontaneous. Five years ago, living in Ukraine, I was at a crossroads: what to do next. I already shot his first documentary drama about the world war, there were new proposals, and I figured if things go well, maybe I should improve the skills? Fingering their diplomas, I stumbled on advertising the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles and decided: why not see how it all works? Planned a month to learn and to return to Ukraine. But being here, I met with the Academy Director and he offered me to continue my studies. Since that time, the home was the complex political situation that had an impact on the film industry, I decided to stay in America and see what happens.
Alex Fedosov on location of the film “Back to the future”
– While readers urgently not to send the application for admission to the New York Film Academy, tell us why you’re interested in learning there?
– I was humbled by the fact that equipment to study only one campus more than in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia taken together! Teachers it is important that the student is initially studied with modern equipment. No matter whether you want to become a Director or cinematographer, they teach you everything so you understand the purpose of each on the set and respected their work. In America, cinema is first and foremost a business, which cannot be said about Europe. It was very interesting to learn how they build such a successful chinamodel, which are then sold worldwide. As the work to connect to the correct schema and model that will work and earn money – only in the United States. Summing up: I was already a Director, became the new Director! Now, thanks to this on any set I can take any position from waiter to producer.
– That was a pleasant surprise, that upset, when they began to live in this country?
– America first, very pleasantly surprised by its hospitality, all smiles, all asking the famous question: “How are you”? But then you realize that this is not a real desire to know what happens in your life, and a certain demeanor. Here the country looks: even if you first saw the person, but you met him with a look, need to say Hello. All of America is very different. I live in Los Angeles – is a miracle of nature: near and ocean, and mountains with snow and desert. That’s because a lot of shooting takes place here, because here you can find what you want location! The same desert: it seems that it is similar, but no, she can also be different – with dunes, palm trees and with stones.
Alex Fedosov live in USA for 5 years
The whole invented for tourists. Major studios Disney, Warner Brothers, Universal are not there, and in the suburb of Burbank. And in Los Angeles now heavy atmosphere – a lot of homeless people, and the government has still not figured out how to solve this problem. LA is a huge city, easy money, easy drugs, why not all stand, and as a result, roam the streets a lot of crazy. I was amused by the fact that the EU has provided for a tranche for Ukraine amounting to several million dollars. Yes, Netflix only for the purchase of original content spent 12-13 billion dollars last year! I worked in the TV series VEEP (in the Russian version of “Vice-President), so the cost of 1 series is five million dollars. Here the rich are not millionaires, and billionaires! And I’m always amazed at the type of road – freeway sometimes consisting of nine bands, and even with this number there is often occur traffic jams.
– So why are directing you went into acting?
I wasn’t going to study acting, but I couldn’t find a way to feature large Hollywood projects. By participating in crowd it was possible here, such activities are very popular. In Hollywood so many are beginning their career and it’s not shameful, there is, by the way, I met many actors from Ukraine. First I had to sign a contract with the biggest Agency in America, and I had management who represents my interests. They almost immediately got me in popular designs, among them the new film by Quentin Tarantino “Once in Hollywood”.
For many Ukrainian actors the biggest obstacle is the language. How did you learn English and struggled with the accent?
– I taught English in Ukraine and thought that all the issues I have with him not until he began to study at the Academy with the native Americans. When they started talking I stopped and realized that my language level is very low. So the best way to learn English is to get into an environment of native speakers. I noticed that we are very lazy talk, the Americans have better vocal apparatus, and they all say the smile and emotion. But with the emphasis not always need to fight. It could be your highlight, sometimes permitted even expressive to exaggerate.
– Tell us more about your episode in the new film by Quentin Tarantino “Once in Hollywood”. As you were suggested, as were preparing for the episode, what was the atmosphere?
Once I was offered to work in the series. Call your Manager to report this, and he says give up, you have a fitting for another project. No details known, but this is a new project Tarantino Leonardo DiCaprio, brad pitt, Margot Robbie in the lead roles – I was in shock. All so often you can write that at 6am you are already waiting on the set, so you need to always be very mobile.
Shot from a film “Once in Hollywood”
After a week I was on the set of “Once in Hollywood” is, of course, an incredible scale! Then I realized that while I will not return to Ukraine. You see, when you are involved in this great project, doesn’t want to settle for less. My first day of shooting took place at lax airport in Los Angeles, where one terminal is locked for the night. Upon arrival on the set took away mobile phones and other devices, and put them in named envelopes. To take your gadget was only possible after the work is done for compliance with the maximum privacy that the footage from the filming leaked online. At the airport filmed three scenes during the night. Watching the movie that I even more admired him. He always welcomed everyone, thanked them for their work and clearly knows what he wants. The entire movie is shot on one film camera. Cameraman of the film is Robert bridge Richardson, winner of three Oscars, without pathos stood in the queue along with extras for Breakfast. Brad pitt, by the way, also started with the extras and often looked to us for catering, while the conditions of the highest class. But DiCaprio was asked not to disturb, he concentrated on their role, but a lot of improvising on the frontier and often offers his ideas for the role. Robbie is also great, always consulted with Quentin and listened to all his words.
The premiere of Quentin Tarantino’s “Once in Hollywood” in Cannes
Remember how we were shooting the scene at the supermarket. Authorities refused to block the city streets, because at this time people actively went to work. Because the police for a few minutes, stopped the movement, and in these moments it’s like you’re back in the 60s: there were extras in costumes of the time, went in disguise earlier vintage cars, and at the signal, “cut!” we all again came back to the real world, people were given the opportunity to drive and then again began shooting. So we jumped from era to era.
I know that you also participated in the movie with Matt Damon. Tell us more about the cooperation with him and how was the filming process?
Yes, this project with a budget of more than even Tarantino, the film is “Ford vs Ferrari”, whose story is based on real events. I worked there for three weeks. Damon was all the time very concentrated on the work he and the producer of the project and the main character. In the movie starred Christian bale, he is also very focused on the court, constantly discussing with the producer what to do.
The film of Matt Damon “Ford vs Ferrari” – Christian bale (right)
Bale completely immersed in your character – racer, and so went all the time in the appropriate gear. I remember the moment when it came to his family and I watched during the break, he was walking with his son directly in the desert, where the shooting took place. The actors sometimes disappear for months on the set and do not see their families.
– You managed to pose in several works: “the Big Bang Theory,” “Lethal Weapon,” “Veep,” “For All Man Kind”, “Shameless”. Remember the brightest moments?
– Every project is completely different. In “Theory,” I was shot immediately with all the characters of the sitcom, and I was blown away, that so easily can sit next to them. Remember, the second the Director says to me is that you somehow react to them. Even the actor who plays the role of Rajesh Koothrappali, also asked me to laugh, he’s in this scene jokes. And I was never able to explain to them that I’m really in shock that I can be with them, and even to star in your favorite sitcom.
Rajesh Koothrappali is a character from the sitcom “the Big Bang Theory”
The Playground is always a lot of writers, they watch the reaction of the audience and sometimes even to rewrite a few jokes. Take off very quickly: two weeks later, the series is already in the air. I admire how quickly the actors cope with the workload. All the decorations are already pre-built and are on Warner Brothers.
Work on the “Lethal weapon” were different: some actors actually live there throughout the shooting process. I participated in the scenes at the police station. During the filming of the scenery is constantly reinforced, until in one pavilion is removed, immediately behind the wall are already preparing a new one.
On “Veep” and “Shameless” we worked on real objects. In one scenario I was working as a bartender, and I the main characters had to fight. I wonder how it reacted to the preparations for the filming of this scene. The first fight scene work doubles, and only then come the actors, understudies, and they convey how it is better to fall on which side of the star rehearsing and then filming. “Deadwood” is a Western with a tremendous amount of work on costumes and sets, and everything related to history is one of the most complex and interesting types of shots.
Actor Alexey Fedosov on the set of American TV series “Shameless”
So how’s the shoot – from organizational issues to the creative part?
– Each survey is the shock and awe of admiration for the scale and organization of the shooting process. Before, I could not imagine that life is at all possible. It works as a single mechanism. Before filming you always sign a confidentiality agreement. Lunch must be held within six hours after the start of shooting. If time didn’t eat lunch, then you will pay the penalty and then provide food. The actors work day is 8 hours, processing paid at double rates.
The filming process in Hollywood
When you come to the set, you go to the dresser, then to the makeup artist. If you are involved in big projects, sometimes you just have an hour to spend in line to the makeup artist. For example, Meth Damon had 15 for the makeup, but the supers still had to wait a long time. By the way, at the end of filming we were all hiding from make-up artists. For three weeks we constantly licking hair lacquer, everyone was tired and the crowd was hiding behind the scenery. Had to always be clean-shaven. An additional complexity was that we were shooting in the desert in 40-degree heat and had a daily walk in the same suit. We asked the second set to even if it were possible to change and wash our clothes, and we went to meet him, urgently got the duplicate for 500 actors of crowd scenes. Here costume the size of a football field.
Alex Fedosov in the film “Ford vs Ferrari”
But for the filming of “the big Bang Theory,” you can come in their clothes, and the stylist will advise you that it is better to add to the image. There still has this little trick: when thrown into the crowd of the main characters, their clothes should be in color to stand out from the crowd so that the secondary actors did not take attention from the main. I remember still the moment when Quentin Tarantino came to say hi, and 60 year member handed him a letter in which he described what the influence on him of the film. Tarantino hugged and shook hands with him, was very touching. I also noticed that due to the fact that Los Angeles is constantly make movies, even the police understand in the filming process. For a single clip, we asked to temporarily block the highway, they even relied on that the direction in which the cameras were running and when again start the movement.
– One of Ukrainian actors I know in Hollywood? Maybe Directors or writers?
– I don’t think our writers here favor. Understand here do a lot of hard learning that they have a special mathematical scheme by which the need to lay out the story. Then consider that there are no bad ideas, just need to figure out how to put it on the screen. They all know how to work in a team, but the Ukrainians often believe that only they know best. I know firsthand that the Ukrainian filmmakers would like to work with Hollywood writers, but financially can’t pull. But about Ukrainian actors hope they knew, because many of them over the past two years got into the Guild.
– Having worked in Hollywood for 5 years, you found the answer, as they managed to build a home cinematic Empire?
– The secret is simple: good idea and beautiful its implementation. And, of course, they understand that they need to combine creativity and business. Universal annual turnover of about 14 billion dollars, and not all the money is made just for the movies. They have the main profit from the city to the Studio. Here you imagine that we have earned from trekking tourists on the Studio Raw, for example? Hollywood knows how to monetize your brand. The producers here are very different responsibilities than their colleagues in Ukraine. In America, the Director can be creative, because behind him is a powerful producer. Here people know how to respect themselves and know their rights and know how to defend them.
– Now you are one step away from joining the screen actors Guild USA how did you manage (familiar or merit)? What bonuses it gives?
Thanks to friends will not work to get there, but only with hard work. I got the opportunity to go there only because of their own merits. The terms: I pay the entrance fee and should provide information that worked in a certain mandatory number of projects with the desired level of wages. So the place is there to be earned. But those who are accepted into the Guild, get a different salary level – twice, invitations to more substantial projects. Now you can earn $ 1,000 a day, while the usual actor receives about $ 100. But consider: the standard of living in America is very high. I have all failed simply because I didn’t refused, worked on any projects and at any positions, because you never know when you will be noticed.
Alex Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Hollywoodsexy Fedosov on the set of large-scale projects Голливуда1/7
Here is very closely watching the newcomers understand that everyone may in the future become a star. Really reflected the new status and the Ryder of the Charter spelled out that the actor, in a Guild, provided the food is of better quality and at a certain dishes, outdoors or indoors. You can arrange for a family insurance or easy loan. Representatives of the organization actively protect our rights. If you don’t like how you apply to the Director or someone on set, then you call the Guild and from them within the hour arrives the observer and monitors whether this is so. If it notices the violation of the rights of the actor, the shooting can stop. Sometimes that can forbid to work with the producer, if he did not become a member of the Guild, even if it’s really good, can still refuse.
– Give some advice for the young Ukrainian actor who wants to act in Hollywood.
– No one cares about your achievements at home. If you want to get on big American projects, you will have a long interesting path. In order to Express yourself, you need to learn and understand that he doesn’t stop there. It is necessary to find in ourselves what makes unique and apart from the crowd. Keep in mind that the crowd here is a springboard for a possible career and want to get a. You can start with a job search on the website for the actors to go to auditions. The more you pass them and the more you choose, the closer you are to success, because in the process you become aware of yourself this: what is your feature that can be appreciated by a future spectator in the cinema.
Alex Fedosov family
Photo: from personal archive of Alex Fedosov
Earlier, we told what the phenomenon on the ninth of Quentin Tarantino’s “Once in Hollywood”.
Read the most important and interesting news in our Telegram