An infant dies of COVID-19 in Switzerland

GENEVA | For the first time since the beginning of the epidemic, the COVID-19, an infant died of the disease in Switzerland, after having been infected abroad, announced the ministry of Health on Friday.

“This death is not related to a student, it is an infant who has died”, in the canton of Aargau, said a representative of the federal Office of public health, Stefan Kuster, during a press conference.

“The children get sick less frequently than adults, they are less infectious,” but “there may be such cases”, he added.

He indicated that the infant had been taken care of prior to his death by the university hospital of Zurich, but has not indicated whether he was suffering before other diseases. “We need to make clarifications”, he said.

In Switzerland, the disease COVID-19 has done more than 1650 dead since the first case was detected on February 24, in the canton of Ticino, bordering Italy. Over 30 800 people have been tested positive, out of a population of about 8.5 million people, or an incidence of 359 cases per 100 000 people.

In the past 24 hours, the country has recorded 32 additional cases and two deaths, including the infant.

According to the news agency of switzerland (ATS), two children – brother and sister – have been contaminated with the coronavirus to the west of the city of Basel, a border of France. As a result, approximately 70 people (family, classmates, and teachers) have been placed in quarantine until 5 June.

The authorities do not know for the moment how the two children have been contaminated. They have yet to establish if it is necessary to put other teachers in quarantine.

The Swiss, who has not established containment as strict as other european countries, started on the 27th of April to relax the measures taken to deal with the coronavirus.

Schools, shops, restaurants and museums have already opened their doors again, even if the measures of distance-physical and hygiene remain in effect. As of may 30,, the spontaneous gatherings of up to 30 people will be allowed.

And as of June 6, will be possible all the events, public or private, of up to 300 people. All facilities of entertainment and leisure will again be able to accommodate the world, such as cinemas and swimming pools. Vocational schools and secondary schools and universities will be able to do the same.

Share Button