and QMI MISE À DAY
The Monegasque Charles Leclerc offers the lead position to Ferrari for the Italian Grand Prix.
He beat Briton George Russell (Mercedes) in qualifying on Saturday at the Monza circuit.
Dutchman Max Verstappen (Red Bull ), world championship leader, set the second fastest time, but he will only start 7th, penalized for an engine change beyond the authorized quota per season.
Stroll never in the shot
For his part, Quebecer Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) finished 18th out of 20.
The three free practice sessions did not seem very promising for the Quebecer and his team and that s is reflected in the disappointing qualifying result. Stroll could not do better than a time of 1 min 22.748 s, just behind teammate Sebastian Vettel (17th; 1:22.636).
However, Stroll gained a few positions on the starting grid due to penalties. Yuki Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) and Carlos Sainz Jr. (Ferrari) will start from the back of the grid, and Kevin Magnussen (Haas), Mick Schumacher (Haas) and Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) have suffered of penalties of 15 places. The Montrealer will thus start 12th.
The Dutchman Nyck de Vries (13th time) replaced Alex Albon, suffering from appendicitis, at Williams. The 27-year-old dominated his new teammate, Canadian Nicholas Latifi (16th), and will start eighth in Sunday's race.
1. Charles Leclerc (MON/Ferrari) 1:20.161
2. Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull) 1:20.306
3. Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP/Ferrari) 1:20.429
4. Sergio Perez (MEX/Red Bull) 1:21.206
5. Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Mercedes) 1:21.524
6. George Russell (GBR/Mercedes) 1:21.542
7. Lando Norris (GBR/McLaren-Mercedes) 1:21.584
8. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS/McLaren-Mercedes) 1:21.925
9. Pierre Gasly (FRA/AlphaTauri-Red Bull) 1:22.648
10. Fernando Alonso (ESP/Alpine-Renault) no time
11. Esteban Ocon (FRA/Alpine-Renault)
12. Valtteri Bottas (FIN/Alfa Romeo)
13. Nyck de Vries (NED/Williams-Mercedes)
14. Zhou Guanyu (CHN/Alfa Romeo)
15. Yuki Tsunoda (JPN/AlphaTauri-Red Bull)
16. Nicholas Latifi (CAN/Williams-Mercedes)
17. Sebastian Vettel (GER/Aston Martin-Mercedes)
18. Lance Stroll (CAN/Aston Martin-Mercedes)
19. Kevin Magnussen (DEN/Haas-Ferrari)
20. Mick Schumacher (GER/Haas-Ferrari)