QUITO | The ecuadorian justice has stated, on Monday, confirmed on appeal the conviction and eight-year prison sentence imposed against the ex-president Rafael Correa for corruption and his ineligibility for a period of 25 years.
The national Court of justice has rejected the appeal of 18 people convicted in the context of this case, including the ex-head of the ecuadorian State, said the court on his Twitter account.
The former left-wing president, refugee in Belgium, was tried in absentia for his involvement in a vast network of scam during his mandate (2007-2017).
This judgment applies in particular to facts dating back from 2012 to 2016, for which 17 other people have also been convicted, including former ministers, business leaders, a member of parliament and former vice-president Jorge Glas, the latter serving a sentence of six years in prison for receiving bribes from the firm’s brazilian BTP Odebrecht.
“Although it is hard to believe, it is to be expected. A case and a judgment more ridiculous, it does not exist. They will smash not, but this to me is painful to think of all the innocent people who suffer because they tried to hurt me,” responded Mr. Correa on his Twitter account.
The former president says he is innocent and denouncing a conspiracy fomented by his rival, former vice president and current president, Lenin Moreno.
18 persons convicted, including Mr. Correa, have always the possibility to appeal in cassation.
They have also been sentenced to pay approximately$ 14.7 Million in damages to the ecuadorian State, according to the award.
The day before, the party loyal to president Rafael Correa, Fuerza Compromiso Social, had been suspended by the national electoral Council (CNE) for irregularities in the registration process, and may not participate in parliamentary and presidential elections of 2021.