The Quebec Remparts granted the wish of one of their players at the start of the QMJHL trading period yesterday. They ceded forward Jacob Melanson to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan for five draft picks.
• Read also: QMJHL: a fairly eventful day in transactions
A first-round pick in 2019, Melanson has never been able to find his way to go with the Remparts due to injuries. Limited to 39 games last year due to a broken collarbone, the Nova Scotian has not played in any of his eight games this season due to another shoulder injury.
It was Melanson himself who expressed the wish to evolve under other skies. The Remparts got a second (DRU) and fourth (QUE) round pick in 2021, a third (VIC) and sixth round pick in 2022 as well as a third round pick in 2023.
“In Jacob’s case, it’s more at his request, because we liked him a lot and we think he belonged to the team. But sometimes, a youngster wants to experience something else and we try to support them in that, ”explained head coach and general manager Patrick Roy in a conference call.
The Remparts had divested of four draft picks to get their hands on Melanson in 15th place in 2019. At the time, Roy and his men were looking to get their hands on a player capable of both offensive production and distribution. shoulder strikes.
“He’s the kind of player who takes longer to develop, that’s how we saw him, and there aren’t a lot of that kind of player in our league,” Roy recalled. agreeing that the outbreak of other youngsters on the team combined with Melanson’s multiple injuries did not make it easy for him.
If Roy moved on the first day of the trading period, it should not be deduced that the Remparts will be very active over the next few days, according to him.
The uncertainty surrounding the continuation of the campaign due to the pandemic is one of the elements that forces Roy to take a step back on possible transactions.
The QMJHL should also announce Monday that personnel movements will be authorized beyond the January 6 deadline since regular activities will not resume before the week of January 18.
“I don’t expect much. Precisely because of the situation and two, where we are as an organization, at one point, we have to give our players the chance to show off […] With the exception of our three 20s, everyone will be back next year. We have a good depth and we do not feel the urgency to make transactions in order to make transactions “, exposed Roy, who says he is ready to move only if it is to” help the team progress in the coming years ” .
Légaré in Val-d’Or
One thing is certain, the uncertainty did not slow down the ardor of the Val-d’Or Foreurs, who got their hands on one of the most coveted forwards on the market in Nathan Légaré, from the Baie-Comeau Drakkar . In return, they gave up five draft picks as well as prospect Justin Sullivan.
The Foreurs are among the teams that have played the most games this season (15) and their performance has not been overlooked with a 10-1-4 record.
Author of five goals and nine assists in 14 games, the prospect of the Pittsburgh Penguins will find in Abitibi his good friend Jakob Pelletier, who had been acquired during the last selection session. Pelletier, who will be donning the Team Canada junior uniform over the holidays, was delighted with the acquisition.
“I’ve known Nate since I was 8 years old. He’s a good friend. He’s a big guy and a marker. He will bring attack, depth and leadership, ”he said according to the comments reported by the colleague of RDS, Patrick Friolet, from the Edmonton bubble.
The Charlottetown Islanders (12-2-0) have for their part secured the services of Bailey Peach of the Sherbrooke Phoenix.