Extension of the Alma-La Baie highway: a third scenario under study

Extension of the Alma-La Baie highway: a third scenario; the study

MISE & Agrave; DAY

A new option to extend the Alma-La Baie highway in Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean was presented Tuesday evening by the Quebec Ministry of Transport (MTQ) during a meeting consultation in Saint-Bruno.

The new, more central route would run along range 5, up to route 169 and would be located between the south route, which passes through the boxes, and the northern route. This new corridor would affect fewer residences and businesses than the one in the northern sector.

“In recent months, the ministry heard the concerns of people who were in the study area further north, near the Alma airport,” said MTQ spokesperson Andrée- Anne Duchesne.

“For residents of the northern sector, on avenue Saint-Alphonse. It is a relief. Since we see that the management of the MTQ sees that there is an impact that is immense at the citizen level, ”said François Simard, a citizen of the sector.

“At first glance, there aren't many houses [with the new layout]. There are still a few of them, that's flat, but the fact remains that on the total, it is much less houses, much less shops “, he added.

< p>At Saint-Bruno city hall, the new central corridor was poorly received, as was the northern route. “It is less catastrophic when it comes to expropriations. But it is just as catastrophic for what I would call the devitality of the municipality ”, indicated the deputy director general of the municipality, Philippe Lusinchi.

The municipality reminded the MTQ that the South route had already been the subject of a political consensus in Lac-Saint-Jean.

“We have the impression of working in the municipality, and alongside, the Ministry of Transport. Yes, he is listening to us. But does he hear us, “asked the director.

Citizens affected by the northern route hope that the ministry will quickly put an end to the uncertainty. The owner of Ferblanterie Boily has major development projects for his business, but everything has been on ice for months.

“If the northeast route is abandoned, let us know. say and there we will be able to continue because we are in pause mode all along the line. I have no answer, and that is in line so that we have at least another year to wait, ”said Joël Boily.

The chosen choice should be unveiled at the next fall, once the impact study has been completed.

Share Button