Affected by the pandemic, a forty festivals throughout the province, including Pop Montreal, the Francouvertes, The Wedding and the WWF, have decided to regroup by creating the Consolidation of regional festivals, artistic independent (CHORUS).
Announced this morning, the REFRAIN has the task to bring together and add value to the festivals and cultural events are independent. The collection has more than 45 members who represent the 15 administrative regions of Quebec.
In particular, there is Piknic Electronik, Wall and Folk Fest on the canal (Montreal), the Festival de la poutine (Drummondville), the Festival international de la chanson (Granby) and the Festi Jazz Rimouski).
“Initially, the grouping was a lot to share between us, said the general director of Santa Teresa, Patrick Kearney. It was almost like a therapy group. The birth of the CHORUS was very simple. “
In addition to the music festivals, other art forms are also represented. “There’s the Festival de la BD, Festival of clowns, Wall-mount and arts Festival alley “, lists Patrick Kearney.
After having seen all of their editions summer of 2020 to be cancelled, several of the festivals of the collection have decided to put in place various initiatives (see below) to bring life in their respective cities, despite the pandemic.
“What we want to send as a message, it is that one is able to adapt,” said Patrick Kearney, who is preparing a virtual edition of Santa Teresa for the fall. Most of the festivals are small-scale infrastructure and organisations, and flexible. We created these small events because it feels that the population needs. “
- For more info on the CHORUS, we consult lerefrain.org.
Initiatives this summer
- The Festive ! (Baie-Saint-Paul) : A series of intimate shows will be presented including Les Cowboys Fringants and Les Trois Accords.
- Festival song (Petite-Vallée) : The Galleries unusual offer performances on stoops and in other public places.
- Festival of the song (Tadoussac) : The memory Box will serve to recall the editions of previous years.
- Greater Montreal Comic (Terrebonne) : An evening of comedy, hosted by Réal Béland and with several guests, will be offered in formula ciné-parc on the 11th of July.
- SuperFolk (Morin-Heights) : Uptake of shows that will be broadcast in the village and online.