Fire in the cathedral of Nantes: the suspect presented to the public prosecutor

Incendie dans la cathédrale de Nantes: le suspect présenté devant le parquet

The man arrested after the fire in the cathedral of Nantes on the 18th of July was again placed in police custody and will be presented Saturday at the prosecutor, which requested his detention and the track criminal is now preferred, has announced the prosecutor of the Republic of this city in the west of France, Pierre Sennès.

“The early results disclosed by the central laboratory of the Prefecture de police de Paris bring to focus the track criminal,” said the prosecutor.

The man, aged 39 years, a rwandan national volunteer of the diocese, had been arrested in the wake of the fire and released the following day without charge, in the framework of the investigation opened for “arson” by the prosecutor’s office.

The volunteer, who intervenes during the masses as an altar boy, is “came to take refuge in France a few years ago”, had then explained to AFP the rector of the cathedral of Nantes, father Hubert Champagne.

“The developments of the investigation (…) have led to the arrest of this person this day (Saturday) to July 25, 2020 6: 15 (04h15 GMT) and its placement in custody,” said the prosecutor in a press release.

At the end of it, it was presented Saturday night to the public prosecutor of Nantes, which opened a criminal investigation of the leaders of “degradation, deterioration or destruction of the property of others by fire”.

The public prosecutor has requested the referral to the judge of freedoms and detention “for the purposes of placement of the person in provisional detention,” added Mr. Sennès.

According to the magistrate, “the offence referred to in the indictment instituting the prosecution is punishable by a sentence of 10 years imprisonment and 150 000 euro fine”.

The fire, which occurred a little over a year after the trauma of the one at Notre-Dame de Paris, has primarily affected the great organ of the gothic cathedral, whose construction has extended from the Fifteenth to the Nineteenth century.

No trace of break-in at the level of the external access has not been recognized, and three points fire separate have been spotted inside the building.

Share Button