Germany: a former guard of nazi camp apologizes at his trial

Allemagne: un ancien gardien de camp nazi s’excuse lors de son procès

Hamburg | A former guard of nazi camp held currently in Germany for complicity in the murders apologized Monday to victims of the Holocaust, while reaffirming that they have not had the choice of his assignment.

“Today I would like to apologize to those who have gone through this hell of madness, and with their loved ones. Such a thing must never happen again”, said Bruno Dey, 93-year-old, in his last speech at his trial, whose verdict is expected Thursday.

The testimonies of victims, have allowed him to capture “the full extent of the cruelty” of the crimes at the camp of Stutthof, in northern Poland, he added.

“I want to reaffirm that I never volunteered to serve in the SS or (…) or in a concentration camp”, he said, adding that he would not be gone if he had had the opportunity to avoid it.

A survivor of the camp rejected the statements of the ex-guardian. “I’m speechless. I don’t want their apologies, I have no need of that,” responded Marek Dunin-Wasowicz, 93 years of age, contacted by AFP in his home in Warsaw.

“He’s lying there, simply he says he has not seen or not heard this as it was happening” in the camp, he added.

Bruno Dey is accused of complicity in thousands of murders when he was a guard, between August 1944 and April 1945″, to the camp of Stutthof 40 km from Gdansk, the first nazi camp built outside of Germany.

According to the public prosecutor, it ” has supported the murder horrible, in particular, of jewish inmates “.

His lawyer Stefan Waterkamp has claimed Monday, a non-place, or at worst a suspended prison sentence according to the law for minors on the basis of which he is ruled, because he was 17 at the time of the facts.

It is necessary to take into account the fact that “to serve in a concentration camp there was at that time not regarded as a crime,” he said.

About 65,000 people died at Stutthof, mainly jewish women from the baltic countries and Poland.

In recent years, Germany has tried and convicted several former SS for complicity in the murder, illustrating the increased severity, but of late, his righteousness.

Prosecutors and courts in germany have expanded to the guards of the camps the charge of complicity in the murder, previously reserved for people who held high positions in the nazi hierarchy, or directly involved in the killings.

The most iconic has been the proceedings against John Demjanjuk. Former guard in the extermination camp of Sobibor, he was sentenced in 2011 a penalty of five years in prison. He died in 2012 before his appeal trial.

Share Button