Disappointed at having given up representing the Dominican Republic at the World Baseball Classic, Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is getting better and could play preseason games soon.< /strong>
Jays manager John Schneider told Sportsnet on Monday, saying his protege had made progress during his weekend recovery. Guerrero Jr. continues to recover from inflammation in his right knee that forced him out of the March 3 exhibition game against the Tampa Bay Rays.
“He said he feels great, which is great,” Schneider said. Hopefully he will run a lot on the trails this year; he must therefore continue his preparation. Probably in the next few days you will see him in action, as long as he feels good after his training today.”
The 23-year-old wants to look his best when the Jays visit the St. Louis Cardinals to open the campaign on March 30. “I will take everything calmly and I will not rush anything, he promised, two days after falling in combat. I will continue to follow the treatments and when my knee says it's ready, I will be.”
In 160 games, the slugger totaled 32 homers and 97 RBIs last year.
A landslide victory
Later in the day, Guerrero Jr.'s teammates continued their success by dominating the Boston Red Sox 16-3 in a preparatory presented in Florida.
This is the fifth straight victory for the Blue Jays, who obviously found the right formula during their spring camp.
Bo Bichette was the representative of the Canadian team that produced the most points, four, during this duel against the Red Sox. In the first inning, the young star player hit a solo homer. He stretched his arms again in the fourth round at bat. This time his teammate Whit Merrifield was on the trails. A faceoff later, Bichette took advantage of an error by second baseman Eddinson Paulino to allow Rainer Nunez and David Schneider to tread the plate.
Blue Jays starter Alek Manoah allowed the three points of his rivals in three sets and a third of work. He gave up two hits and four free passes, but also struck out five opposing batters.
The six Toronto relievers used next didn't allow any hits from the safe.
Schneider's squad will return to action on Tuesday, with an evening duel against the New York Yankees.