NEW DELHI | With the new law on the national security, Hong Kong is on the way to the same fate as Tibet, estimated in an interview with the AFP the head of the tibetan government-in-exile Lobsang Sangay.
“If you follow the chinese occupation of Tibet and what happened after, you see that it is being played in Hong Kong,” says the president of the central tibetan administration, in office since the renunciation of the dalai lama to his political duties in 2011.
The chinese communist regime was imposed last week in the former british colony a text which is very controversial which makes one fear to the opposition, a setback unprecedented freedoms since the handover in 1997 by the United Kingdom of this territory, which has a statute of autonomy.
The law passed by Beijing aims to crack down on subversion, secession, terrorism and the collusion with the foreign forces, in response to the protest movement launched last year against the central power in the former british colony.
The activists pro-democracy fear that it opens the door to an erosion of unprecedented freedoms and the autonomy they enjoyed up to the present the inhabitants of the territory.
The formula of “One country, two systems” had been promised to Tibet,” recalls Lobsang Sangay, “but just after the signature by the responsible tibetans, under duress, each of the provisions of the 17-point Agreement (1951) has been raped”.
This agreement recognised the integration of Tibet into China, but granting him a certain degree of autonomy. The plateau in the himalayas will be totally under guardianship of the communist after the crushing of the rebellion in tibet in 1959 and the flight of the dalai lama in India.
“This is what you see at work in Hong Kong. A basic law was promised to the people of Hong Kong, but you’re currently a violation of all the provisions promised,” said Lobsang Sangay, the government-in-exile is based in Dharamsala (Northern India) where the dalai lama found refuge in 60 years.
Harvard-trained, this ex-university aged 51 years also puts New Delhi on guard against the”expansionism” of his neighbor, following the deadly clash — the first in 45 years — between armed chinese and indian in the last month.
On June 15, their troops clashed in a melee of extreme violence in a valley, fought in Ladakh (North of India), desert, high-altitude border of Tibet. The confrontation has claimed the lives of 20 soldiers on indian side and caused a flare-up of fever antichinoise in India. Beijing has not disclosed the number of victims in its ranks.
“The surge in expansionist that we are witnessing for centuries is at work in the events that we have seen at the border of India and China”, says the chief executive of tibetan re-elected to his position in 2016 for a term of five years.
The two asian giants reject each other the responsibility of hanging a murderer and sent significant military reinforcements into the region, an area of several border disputes of long standing.
Both sides say they want a peaceful resolution of the crisis and agreed to a withdrawal of disputed areas, following talks by channels of military and diplomatic.
The chinese troops began to withdraw from several points of friction in Ladakh, said on Monday a military source in india that did not specify if indian forces were carrying out a withdrawal similar.
“The de-escalation is a good thing, the withdrawal of troops is a good thing. But we always say “verify, verify, verify before you trust the Chinese,” says Lobsang Sangay.