Four months to the day before the coronation of King Charles III, Prince Harry is accused on Friday of wanting to destroy the British royal family after the sensational revelations in his memoirs which seem to forever distance any reconciliation within the Windsor.
The monarchy remains silent in the face of the flood of staggering confidences and accusations, sometimes bordering on the sordid, which leaked before the dreaded publication of Harry's book. The Substitute, due out on January 10, was mistakenly put on sale a few hours Thursday in Spain and its content goes even further than feared.
“ No one is spared in Harry's brutal mission to tear the family down,” headlines the tabloid The Daily Mirror.
The Sun accuses the exiled prince in California of having “thrown his own family under a bus for millions of dollars”. Nothing “can justify the destructive and vengeful path he has chosen”.
The Daily Mail curbs Harry who chose to “spit as much poison as possible” and his “despicable” book.
The media seem to have trouble selecting the most shocking excerpts, there are so many in this book of more than 500 pages. The most destructive undoubtedly concerns his brother William, the heir to the throne and the function of head of state of 15 countries in the world, whom Harry describes according to the extracts published in the press as a “sworn enemy”. /p>
The Duke of Sussex accuses William of throwing him to the ground and ripping his necklace off during a 2019 argument over Meghan, whom Harry had married the previous year.
He also talks about this violent argument in an interview which will be broadcast on Sunday evening on ITV television, in which he assures that William, furious, wanted him to hit him in turn. William then allegedly apologized.
For royal family expert Richard Fitzwilliams, “the worst part” in the book is “the way William is portrayed”. “Someone who betrayed his trust. (…) Someone who really assaulted him. It's not a very flattering portrait for a future king.”
In his memoirs, Harry also explains that he and William opposed their father's remarriage to Camilla, now queen consort, fearing that she would be an “ugly stepmother”.
The prince delivers without filters personal confidences: he admits having taken cocaine, having killed 25 Taliban during his missions in Afghanistan, describes his loss of virginity, recounts having consulted a woman who would have allowed him to enter into spiritual contact with his mother Diana, died in 1997 in a car accident in Paris.
“I don't think we've ever seen anything quite like it, where a member of the royal family attacks the institution in the most public way possible,” said Craig Prescott, a constitutional expert at the university. Bangor in Wales.
“If this continues for a significant period of time – it's been going on for a year or two already – people might well start thinking, should we start thinking about the monarchy in a different way? Is a reform necessary?”, continues the expert.
Despite everything that is written in The Substitute, Harry repeats in his interview with ITV wanting “reconciliation” with his family: “But first”, we must establish responsibilities.”
Already in the docuseries Harry & Meghan aired on Netflix in December, the 38-year-old prince explained that he wanted to tell his side of the story, on his shattering break with the British monarchy in 2020 which led to his departure with Meghan for California.< /p>
So far Buckingham Palace has not reacted. The Sun cites sources close to Charles III and William who are said to be saddened by the claims in the book.
For expert Richard Fitzwilliams, “the Sussexes control the agenda because the palace cannot easily retaliate.”
This book “is so destructive as the coronation nears,” he laments. Until a few weeks ago, many thought that Harry could be present alongside his family for this historic event. That no longer appears to be an option.
When asked on Friday morning, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak explained that it was “not appropriate” for him to “comment on matters relating to the royal family” .
Rob Wilson has been a reporter on the news desk since 2013. Before that she wrote about young adolescence and family dynamics for Styles and was the legal affairs correspondent for the Metro desk. Before joining The Gal Times, Rob wilson worked as a staff writer at the Village Voice and a freelancer for Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, GQ and Mirabella. To get in touch, contact me through my firstname.lastname@example.org 1-800-268-7128