MONTREAL – Considering insufficient the measures taken to protect the personnel of the health network, of the trade union organisations say they have no other choice than to submit complaints to the standards Commission, equity, health and safety in the workplace (CNESST).
“The equipment of protection currently provided to network staff as well as the procedures in place do not protect staff against the risk of transmission in the air. It is necessary to correct the shooting now in anticipation of the second wave, reported Thursday Jeff Begley, president of the Fédération de la santé et des services sociaux (FSSS-CSN).
His organization has said that since last week, the world health Organization (WHO) confirms the risk of transmission of the virus in the air.
Thus, as the virus is transmitted both by large droplets emitted by coughing and sneezing, only through microscopic droplets released when one breathes, or speaks, the FSSS-CSN requested that the wearing of masks N-95, or more generally of a respiratory protection device is not only reserved to a reduced number of workers, but rather offered to the entire staff of the network.
The Federation argues that the precautionary principle must prevail.
“It does not lead to Papineau to realize that you failed in the first wave,” says Jeff Begley, which asks the CNESST to play its role to ensure the safety of workers in the network. More than 13,600 of them have been infected by the virus, he said.
Two weeks ago, the Fédération interprofessionnelle de la santé du Québec FIQ and the FIQ – private Sector (FIQP) have turned to the superior Court, to invalidate an order of the national director of public health, issued on 8 June last.
“This order limits the use of N95 masks, which reduces the measures for breathing protection in the nursing staff instead of the improving”, had informed the two organizations