Parkland shooting: US $ 130 million for families of victims after FBI error

Parkland shooting: US $ 130 million for families of victims after FBI

MISE & Agrave; DAY

US justice is expected to compensate victims and families of victims of the Parkland shooting to the tune of $ 130 million, the federal police having failed to investigate information that could have prevented the drama, The New York Times reported on Monday. & nbsp;

On Valentine's Day in 2018, Nikolas Cruz opened fire at his former high school in Parkland, Florida with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, killing 17 people and injuring about 15 others, in what was one of the worst school massacres in the United States.

Mr. Cruz, 19 at the time, had been able to legally buy an assault rifle despite his psychiatric history.

The US Federal Police (FBI) admitted after the shooting had not investigated two pieces of information that she had received concerning him.

The owner of a YouTube channel had reported 5 months before the facts a comment left under one of his videos in which an Internet user by the name of “nikolas cruz” had claimed that he would become “a professional school shooter”.

Then in January 2018, six weeks before the killings, a woman called the FBI number for providing intelligence and detailed how Mr. Cruz showed on Instagram the weapons and ammunition he was accumulating.

“I know it's going to explode,” she warned, expressing her fear that the young man “will slip into a school and start shooting,” according to the New York Times.

Admission of this error by the FBI had devastated the families of victims, who had finally sued the federal police for negligence, recalls the American daily.

Nikolas Cruz, 23 years old today, pleaded guilty last month of the 17 counts of murder and said he was “sorry.”

He must now be brought before a jury to have his sentence fixed. Prosecutors said they would call for the death penalty.

SEE ALSO …

Share Button