Pierre Marchand, the co-founder of the MusiquePlus television channel, has been acquitted of all charges against him, including the rape of a minor.
The criminal trial of the music producer was scheduled to begin Wednesday at the Laval courthouse, but it will not take place.
This was because the Crown decided not to file evidence, which ended the criminal proceedings on Wednesday morning and led to the acquittal of the 60-year-old accused.
Wednesday, Pierre Marchand said he was greatly relieved of this acquittal.
He had been charged in 2017 for facts dating back to the early 1980s when he was in his twenties. The complainant was a minor at that time.
Pierre Marchand committed on Wednesday to keep the peace, to have a good behavior and not to approach the complainant during the next three months.
The charges on March 27, 2017 were for rape, having sex with a teenage girl, indecent assault and gross indecency.
“I can now turn the page and try to put behind me the last eight months,” said the man with his lawyer Marc-Antoine Carette, Wednesday morning at the courthouse, according to a statement sent by his office. lawyer.
He said the episode was painful for him and his family.
“I do not wish anyone to live such a hell,” he said, saying he “always kept hope that justice is done.”
Mr. Marchand added that he will be able to return to a normal life and “resume what I do best in an industry I love, that of music, entertainment and television.”