Pyongyang criticizes Washington, on the second anniversary of the summit of Singapore

Pyongyang fustige Washington, au deuxième anniversaire du sommet de Singapour

SEOUL | North Korea has split Friday, critics scathing with respect to the United States, accused of hypocrisy two years to the day after the historic summit in Singapore between the u.s. president Donald Trump and the north Korean leader Kim Jong One.

This is several weeks that Pyongyang is stepping up its verbal attacks against Washington and Seoul, to the point of threatening implicitly on Thursday to disrupt the holding of the us presidential election in November if the United States continued meddling in the affairs of intercoréennes.

These past few days, it is against the defectors from north korea sending from the South, across the demilitarized Zone (DMZ), with leaflets denouncing the north Korean regime as Pyongyang protested, even going so far as to cut off the channels of formal communication with Seoul.

Friday, the North has engaged with one of the verbal attacks of the most virulent for many months with respect to the United States, which raise the question of the future negotiations on the north Korean nuclear, to a standstill for more than a year.

The minister of north Korean foreign Affairs, Ri His Gwon, has accused Washington of hypocrisy, and of seeking to bring down the north Korean regime, believing that the hopes of 2018 had “turned to the dark nightmare”.

“Promise hollow”

On June 12, 2018, MESSRS. Trump and Kim had exchanged in Singapore, a historic handshake in front of the cameras of the world on the occasion of the first summit between a u.s. president and a north Korean leader. Shortly after, Mr. Trump murmured that Pyongyang was “more of a nuclear threat”.

Beyond the symbolic, this meeting did not result in anything other than a return wave in favour of the denuclearization of the peninsula. And the second summit between the two men, in February 2019 in Hanoi, had ended in a resounding fiasco, the two camps being unable to agree on concessions to Pyongyang in exchange for an eventual lifting of international sanctions.

The american diplomats continue to say that Mr. Kim had promised to give up its nuclear arsenal. But Pyongyang has not taken any step in this direction.

Still under the blow of sanctions drastic, the North said to deserve a reward for its moratorium on nuclear testing, and the tests of intercontinental ballistic missiles, to the dismantling of its nuclear test site in Punggye-ri, or the repatriation of remains of american soldiers killed during the Korean war (1950-1953).

“There is nothing more hypocritical than a promise hollow,” said Mr. Ri, in a statement quoted by the official agency KCNA.

Mr. Trump has continued to praise the quality of her relationship with Mr. Kim, he has reviewed a third time in June 2019 on the DMZ. The president had taken a few steps north Korean territory, which was a first.

“Despair”

But Mr Ri said that the diplomatic achievements could not be based “simply on the maintenance of personal relations between our supreme leader and the american president”.

“Never again we will only provide the american leader a package that he can use (…) without receiving anything in return”, he said.

“The hope of improving relations (between two countries), which was very high in the eyes of the world two years ago, has now turned into despair, characterized by a deterioration at high speed”, said the minister.

For the minister, although the peoples of both countries want peace, “Washington absolutely wants to aggravate the situation”.

“As a result, the Korean peninsula is now the hot spot is the most dangerous in the world” and she is “haunted continually by the spectre of nuclear war,” wrote Mr. Ri.

On the 1st of January, Kim Jong One has announced the end of the moratorium on nuclear testing.

Mr. Ri has accused the U.s. of wanting to, while claiming to improve relationships, achieve “regime change” in Pyongyang, and he said that the North had decided to strengthen its nuclear deterrent “to cope with threats to u.s. nuclear war”.

The North has conducted in recent months of numerous tests of missiles, short-range, speaking often of systems of multi-rocket launchers. Japan and the United States have, however, been tests of ballistic missiles.

Share Button