Site icon The Bobr Times

Second American killed in Ukraine

Second American killed in Ukraine

DAY

The United States confirmed on Tuesday that a second American national was killed in action in Ukraine, reiterating its call not to take part in the conflict as two other Americans were captured by Russia .

The State Department has confirmed the death of 52-year-old Stephen Zabielski, saying he was providing consular assistance to his family.

“We reiterate U.S. citizens should not travel to Ukraine because of the ongoing armed conflict and the risk of Russian government security officials in Ukraine targeting them because of their U.S. citizenship,” a spokesperson said. of American diplomacy.

He called on Americans in the warring country to “leave immediately, if safe to do so, by any commercial or private means of overland transportation.”

Stephen Zabielski is the second American whose death in combat with Ukrainian troops has been confirmed since the Russian invasion of the country at the end of February.

A 22-year-old former Marine, Willy Joseph Cancel, was killed in the same circumstances at the end of April.

In an obituary notice published by a newspaper in the state of New York, where Stephen Zabielski lived, we learn that this former construction worker, who leaves behind a wife and five stepchildren, died on May 15 “in fighting in the village of Dorozhniank, Ukraine.”

His death was confirmed after two former US servicemen who volunteered to fight with Ukrainian forces were captured in early June in the east of Ukraine.

Alexander Drueke and Andy Huynh were filmed in videos released last week by Russian state television, but the circumstances in which they are being held are unclear.

Washington has said that Russia must treat them humanely like any prisoner of war, in accordance with the Geneva Conventions.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told US broadcaster NBC News that these two Americans were 'endangering' soldiers Russians and should be “held accountable for these crimes”.

Exit mobile version