The time has come for preparations in a CHSLD in Quebec where residents and workers will, unless there is a turnaround, among the very first in the province to be vaccinated against the coronavirus.
A pilot project provides that precious doses of the vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech against COVID-19 will be offered at the Saint-Antoine accommodation center, in the Duberger – Les Saules district, starting next week, confirmed the CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale.
According to our information, this establishment has been targeted in particular because of its large size and because it has not been the victim of any outbreak since the start of the pandemic.
Remember that Quebec is expecting a first wave of 4000 doses of this vaccine in the very short term, provided that it is approved by Health Canada in the meantime. The residents of CHSLDs are the top priority.
In Montreal, the Maimonides geriatric hospital center will be the subject of a pilot project similar to the one in Quebec, we learned. Pfizer’s constraints will be respected.
“We are planning with our teams and those of the [ministère de la Santé] the distribution of the first doses from next week at the CHSLD Saint-Antoine. But beware, this is a small sample of doses, intended for a limited number of residents and employees of CHSLDs, ”explained a spokesperson for the CIUSSS de la Capitale-Nationale, Mélanie Otis.
In addition, the epidemiological situation remains critical in the Capitale-Nationale.
If the region reported 146 new cases of COVID-19 yesterday, a slight drop, it once again broke its record of hospitalizations, while 124 patients occupied a hospital bed due to the coronavirus.
Six people have died from complications from the virus, bringing the total to 486 since the start of the health crisis. Eight more patients now occupy a hospital bed while 13 require acute care.
The portrait is also far from improving at Manoir Sully. There are now 96 users and 10 infected employees.
A little better in Saguenay
In Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean, the situation is improving, with 74 new infections recorded. Sixty-one people are still hospitalized, including eight in intensive care.
There are still 97 outbreaks still in progress. For Dr Donald Aubin, Regional Director of Public Health, the situation remains “worrying” throughout the region.
Dr Aubin also confirmed that the emergency at the Chicoutimi hospital has been in bloom since Monday.
Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean hospitals will reduce their activities in operating theaters by 30 to 40%. This represents “300 fewer surgeries per week,” said Dr. Marlène Landry, director of professional services at the CIUSSS du Saguenay – Lac-Saint-Jean.
– With the collaboration of Simon Baillargeon
- More than 200 residents
- More than 400 employees
- No COVID-19 outbreak so far
Restaurants in bloom despite the closure
The closure of dining rooms does not prevent the coronavirus from causing COVID-19 outbreaks in the restaurant industry, due to employees contaminating each other.
In recent weeks, four restaurants in the Capitale-Nationale, three located in Quebec City and one in the Portneuf region, have experienced this situation.
These are establishments that offer take-out or offer a drive-through service, the CIUSSS said, without naming them.
Fortunately, these outbreaks are usually easily contained. For these four restaurants, there were a total of 11 cases of COVID-19 – all employees.
No transmission from employees to customers was detected.
Public health suspects that a certain slackening in the respect of the instructions is in question.
“Although the epidemiological investigations are confidential, we suspect that a drop in rigor in the application of health measures is part of the explanation,” said Mathieu Boivin, spokesperson for the CIUSSS.
It seems that each time, an employee unintentionally brought the disease to his workplace, after being infected in the community.
The CIUSSS specifies that the infected people have been removed from the workplace and that their contacts have been detected.
Public health also ensured that the appropriate infection prevention and control practices were in place. For these reasons, it did not require the establishments to temporarily close them.
The coronavirus is transmitted mainly through close contact with an infected person.
Contagion through contact with a contaminated surface is possible, but less common.
In the scientific literature, transmission of the virus through the ingestion of food is ruled out.
In the United States, experts at the CDC, the federal public health agency, have determined that the risk of catching COVID-19 from eating takeout is “very low.”
According to some studies, however, the coronavirus can survive for up to 24 hours on cardboard.