Donald Trump has officially launched the procedure for the withdrawal of the United States of the world Health Organization (WHO), executing its threats to leave the agency he accuses of having been slow to respond to the pandemic of sars coronavirus.
Of the health officials and opponents of the president have criticized the decision to withdraw the largest contributor to the Geneva-based organization, responsible for the global fight against the disease and against the Covid-19, which continues to spread throughout the world.
And the democratic candidate for the White House, Joe Biden, has assured it would reverse this decision if he was elected on 3 November.
“The first day of my presidency, I will join the WHO, and will reiterate our leadership in the world “, he wrote on Twitter.
“Americans are safer when America is committed to strengthen the health of the world “, explained.
The withdrawal shall be effective at the end of a period of one year, on July 6, 2021, affirmed Tuesday, several officials of the u.s. government.
The notification has been sent to the secretary-general of the united nations, Antonio Guterres, “which is the depositary for the WHO,” they said.
The united Nations has also confirmed having received Monday, the letter of american withdrawal.
The spokesman, Mr. Guterres said that the United States, the founding members of the WHO in 1948, had to meet two conditions to withdraw from the organization: respect for a period of one year and be current in their contributions.
Donald Trump had announced at the end of may “terminate the relationship” between his country and the WHO, it accused since the start of the pandemic show too lenient with China, where the sars coronavirus appeared in December before spreading on the planet.
He accuses the boss of WHO, Ethiopia’s Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, have failed to reform the organization.
The United States, which provides 15 % of the budget of the united nations agency, is 400 million dollars per year, are going to “redirect these funds to other needs and urgent public health world who deserve it,” he told the press.
“Up to the knees”
Last week, a senior u.s. official of the health had, however, assured that the United States continued to work in the day-to-day with the WHO.
“I have not been reminded, I have not received any statement for that I withdraw,” said Brett Giroir, assistant secretary of Health, and member of the executive board of the WHO.
The announcement comes as the pandemic has killed at least 539 620 deaths in the world since the end of December, according to a balance sheet prepared on Tuesday by AFP from official sources.
The United States, who have identified their first death linked to the coronavirus in the beginning of February, are the most affected country with more than 130 000 deaths.
To the point of being “pressed up to my knees” in the pandemic, said Monday night the director of the american Institute of infectious diseases, Anthony Fauci, then as foci of contamination are appeared in the south and west of the country after the déconfinement decided by the local authorities.
The Federation of american scientists denounced the american withdrawal, believing that he intervened ” at the time where there is more need for international cooperation “. It ” will only do harm to the global fight against the Covid-19 “, she blasted.
The withdrawal “is not going to protect the lives or interests of Americans, this is going to let sick Americans and America alone,” said senator Robert Menendez, democrat member of the senate Commission of foreign Affairs.
The who, which has not commented on the decision of Mr. Trump, says that the epidemic is accelerating and that the peak of the pandemic is not yet reached.
And in remarks to the press, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has again called on Tuesday to ” national unity and global solidarity “, which are ” more important than ever to fight a common enemy, a virus that has taken the world hostage “.
“This is our only way out of this pandemic,” he stressed.