Paris | The pandemic coronavirus, which has caused nearly 650 000 people, was continuing, inexorably, to its acceleration Monday, bringing new countries, from Asia to Europe, the imposition of sanitary measures more stringent.
If Latin America and the Caribbean have become the most affected region, ahead of North America, the concern is general in the face of the epidemic that continues to spread in the world with more than five million new cases detected since 1 July, more than a third of the total number of reported cases.
In the Face of this growth, Hong Kong has made it mandatory for the wearing of mask in public. “The situation of the epidemic is extremely serious in Hong Kong,” said the deputy of the head of the executive, Matthew Cheung, in announcing that the gatherings in public of more than two people would be banned.
- Follow the progression of the virus in the world
Same concern in Belgium, a country that has the largest number of dead from the COVID-19 relative to its population (85 per 100 000 inhabitants), where the authorities plan to toughen measures of prevention.
“The rapid increase in the number of cases is worrying,” said the professor Frédérique Jacobs, who directs the clinic of infectious diseases at the Erasmus hospital in Brussels, stressing that the situation was particularly problematic in the province of Antwerp.
For its part, the German region of Bavaria now wants to test all travelers. These tests will be open to everyone, but will not, however, for the time being not mandatory.
London has also decided to submit since Sunday, the passengers coming from Spain to a period of isolation, provoking a sharp reaction of the authorities of this country, the second world tourist destination behind France, and who claimed loudly to be a “safe country”.
In total, the pandemic killed at least 649 577 dead in the world, over 16 295 350 cases, depending on a balance sheet prepared on Monday by the AFP.
The hajj in a reduced format
For the first time in modern history, the great pilgrimage to Mecca, in saudi Arabia, will be from Wednesday, with a number of the faithful very low. Only 10.000 Saudis and foreign residents in the kingdom are allowed this year to perform the hajj, up from 2.5 million last year.
A few days of the Eid al-Adha, a holiday traditionally marked by family reunions, Morocco announced that it would restrict travel between the major cities.
In Papua New Guinea, the government ordered Monday the containment of the capital, Port Moresby, after the first death confirmed due to the virus.
Other countries such as Venezuela and Algeria have decided to renew the containment measures local. Indonesia has announced that it has surpassed the 100 000-contamination.
China reported on Monday, 61 new cases of the COVID-19 in 24 hours, the largest increase in daily since mid-April, after the appearance of homes in three provinces including Xinjiang (north-west).
The United States, the most affected country in the world, are for their part almost 4,230 million infections and nearly 150,000 deaths. The number of new positive cases was, however, significantly slowed down Sunday to 55 187, its lowest level for almost two weeks.
The u.s. government is committed to bring to up to nearly a billion dollars in total support to the development of a potential vaccine developed by us-based biotech Moderna, and which is about to enter the last phase of its clinical trial.
This experimental vaccine, which has raised antibodies against the coronavirus among 45 participants in a first phase, will be tested from Monday, about 30 000 people.
Brazil, Latin american country most affected, has recorded Sunday near of 25 000 additional cases, for a total of 2.4 million. He regrets that more than 87 000 people dead.
Europe had Monday 208.082 death for 3 073 979 cases, the Latin America and the Caribbean 184 168 deaths (4 392 800 cases), the United States and Canada 155 854 deaths (4 348 051 cases), Asia 57 914 deaths (2 517 025 cases), the Middle East 25.600 deaths (1 098 235 cases), Africa 17 767 deaths (848.612 case), and Oceania 192 deaths (16 648 cases).
Young, but not “invincible”
The Clean, adults under 39 years of age now constitute a clear majority of new cases of COVID-19 identified, warned Sunday the health authorities in calling young people to not feel “invincible”.
Older persons are not the only ones at risk of serious health problems in case of contamination, warned Dr. Theresa Tam, director-in-chief of the public health of the country: in the case of COVID-19 reported last week, “63% were young people under the age of 39 years, of which one-third (31%) had been hospitalized”.
In France also, elected officials concerned have called on young people to be more cautious, and ordered the closing of venues such as beaches, parks and public gardens of the night in the coastal town of Quiberon, in the west.
In the Uk, the government has unveiled a vast plan to combat overweight and obesity, considered as aggravating factors against the disease and that nearly two-thirds (63%) of the uk population.
This plan marks a 180-degree turn to the prime minister Boris Johnson, who had previously declared against the “taxes on our sins,” and an approach “maternisante” of the State.