Where is an oak-the chapel?

Где растёт дуб-часовня?

Где растёт дуб-часовня?

Где растёт дуб-часовня?

Where is an oak-the chapel?

This Is Notre Dame! More precisely, the Notre-Dame-de-La-Paix.

May 18, 2019 at 09:32

In Normandy (it’s in the North of France) lies the village of Oluvil-Belets, in its center – oak, and the oak tree – two chapels.

The exact age of the tree is unknown: the researchers give him about 800 years, and local believe that the oak is the same age as the Normandy (since 911), and before him knelt her Duke – William the Conqueror. This, however, is not a record: the oldest trees on Earth – about four to five thousand years.

Где растёт дуб-часовня?

piratlp2012/Flickr.com

The first written reports of the oak appeared in the late XVII century. By 1696, in the trunk already the crack was formed, in which the rector of the local parish Jacques Deslandes du Detroi placed the image of our lady. Because the tree was miraculous chapel of Notre-Dame de La Paix, dedicated to the virgin Mary of Peace (Notre-Dame de la Paix). Then in the same tree, but higher built a second chapel in honor of the Cross of suffering, and outside spiral staircase.

In 1793, at the time of the French revolution, the local wanted to burn the oak tree as a symbol of the hated Church, but the Director of the school Jean-Baptiste Boehner saved him, setting the next pointer with the inscription “Temple of reason” – that is, places designed for the then popular rational cult.

For the next half-century wooden chapel has dilapidated, but thanks to sponsors (in particular, the wife of Napoleon III) construction refurbish – and in 1854 here concelebrated mass by the Archbishop of Rouen. At the same time, local residents began to care for the oak, which glorified their village.

The picture of the book 1860s.

Где растёт дуб-часовня?

In 1912, the tree would perish in the flames – it was struck by lightning. Fortunately, the chapel survived. Even 70 years later was built the metal back up to trunks and crowns.

Now here twice a year, mass is celebrated, and on 15 August, the feast of the assumption of the virgin Mary, pilgrims come here. To avoid soil compaction and preserve an old oak tree in 2008, it built decks and fences.

Share

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *