World Junior | German team deprived of nine players due to COVID-19

World Junior |  German team deprived of nine players due to COVID-19

(Edmonton) Germany will be deprived of nine players in anticipation of its first two games of the World Junior Hockey Championship due to COVID-19 protocols.

This is what officials of the International Ice Hockey Federation (FIHG) said in a statement on Thursday.

Germany are due to face Finland on Friday and Canada on Saturday. The duel against Finland is one of three scheduled for the first day of the tournament.

Since the most recent update earlier this week, a player from Germany has tested positive and must remain in quarantine until January 4, at the earliest.

Three of the eight players who tested positive last week are to remain in quarantine until Sunday. The other five will be in quarantine at least until Tuesday.

The FIHG clarified that no other positive test was reported to it among the nine other teams and neither among the officials of the FIHG or the commentators. Since the teams entered the bubble in Edmonton, 5,586 drug tests have been conducted.

“We welcome the German team to the World Junior Championship and thank them for their incredible collaboration and diligence in complying with the quarantine rules,” said members of the event’s executive committee.

“We will continue to adhere rigorously to our strategy of maintaining a bubble whose main objective is the health and safety of the community and of the participants in the event. ”

Share Button